Sunday, August 26, 2012

Here we go, the first draft of my teaching philosophy:

Response to the Reading:

The article by Olivia Gude, “Postmodern Principles”, discussed how the formal way of teaching art is not adequate in today’s understanding of art, or relevant to describing the process of creating modern art, because believe it or not artwork has changed in the past hundred years or so. The old formal way of teaching art by the formal principles does not expose students to artists of this day that will be culturally important for them to know about in order to create relevant and meaningful art of their own. The new terms that Olivia Gude provided: appropriation, recontextualization, layering, interaction of text and image, hybridity, gazing, and representin’ (Gude); all seem to be very necessary and relevant to describing and understanding today’s art. However, they could be subject to the same misuse as the original formal principles taught by art educators. It is very important to me to have an ever changing curriculum that stays relevant and helps students engage in the culture and relate it to themselves.  The main thing that I got from all of our reading was that to be a sucessful and relevant teacher to our students we must stay active in the art world.  Constantly investigating new artists and always updating our teaching methods. 


Well here we go, my teaching philosophy:

My teaching philosphy is to always engage in my students lives.  I want to make as big of a difference in students lives as Mrs.Hyatt (my greatest art teacher), made in mine.  I want to help students believe in their own ability and I want to stay relevant in the artists that I use to help teach my students and in my manner of teaching. 
In order to give my students confidence in their own ideas and creations, I think it will be important to have an open mind.  The biggest thing in my mind is to never look down on something that a student, or anyone for that matter, finds important.  Wether it is an idea or a way of creating art. 
To be an effective teacher that I am describing I will need to have in depth knowledge about current art that is being created, and their creators. If I want my students to be taught current and relevant forms of art making and relevant ways of understanding the art that is culturally important, I must do the research and make sure that I am teaching what I am preaching.
In order to be sure of myself and my ability to teach I think doing lessons for each other in our classroom, like what was described in the Walker textbook will be essential.  Hearing others advice and their own take on the lesson would be a great learning experience that would help me feel confident in my ability to put together and effective lesson plan.  Also hearing how experienced art educators put together their lessons would be a great way to learn how to emulate them and learn how to effectively teach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment