Saturday, September 8, 2012

Art 21 Lesson Plan


Big Idea:  Stories

Start the class with the video about Kiki Smith - tell students to jot down anything that stands out or makes an impact on them.



Lead a discussion by presenting some of the things that Kiki said during her interview that stood out to me:

Art is a way to think

Let the art pull you in whatever direction it wants

Trust your intuition and do what is being presented to you even if you don’t know why

Talk about what Kiki states is a misconception about artists being born creators.

Discuss the qualities that she believes make an artist:

Hard work

Commitment

Dedication

Art making is hard work and does not just happen, you have to work to make something the best it can be.

Ask the students:

What was important to you during the film?

Did she say something that struck home with you?

Talk about Kiki’s method of story telling

                        King Kong (2002)

"Last year I went to see Bill T. Jones evening of dance, and one of his dances used a song about King Kong. It was just about King Kong looking for the woman, getting the woman, and all his tribulations. It was really sort of moving. But then I thought, King Kong and the woman are sort of the same size in real life. I thought of making a life-size sculpture, and then I thought that was too ambitious. But I made the sculpture of King Kong and the woman together."
- Kiki Smith

 

 

 


Born (2002)

I made ‘Born,’ a Genevieve being born of a deer. And I also have no idea where that came from. You can say that it relates to different mythological stories or something. Sometimes I’m making things and people will say, ‘Oh, that’s Diana; oh, that’s Daphne.’ But I don’t know. It just pops into my head."
- Kiki Smith

Talk to the students about how telling a story with art can be very intentional and thought out but sometimes it just happens.  Your art will tell a story whether you want it to or not, and it will be different for everyone.

Project:

Medium: oil or chalk pastels

Tell a story. Any story.

Be open and don’t diminish your ideas, be like Kiki and create what wants to be created.

Must be at least 16x20 inches, can be larger

No comments:

Post a Comment