So I think that I took a more literal approach to my journey through art. Each picture represents a time period in my art journey.
It is pretty big so I did an up close shot of each section.
This is a "painting" that I made out of berries and flowers from my yard. When I was younger me and my neighbor were fascinated with making our own paint by smashing up flowers and strange berries. I would come home with different colored hands every day. This sybolizes my carefree introduction to creation.
I painted an ink drawing of a school bus to show my pre-junior high years. I was learning more about art and loved to paint and create.
This is a drawing that I recreated of a oil pastel drawing I did in intro to art in junior high. My teacher spent the whole class period routinely stopping by my desk to tell me that I was doing my color progression backwards on the hills. They should get darker the farther back they got. I was trying to fix my drawing and had layer upon layer of oil pastel on my paper. I loved my drawing. My teacher however hated it. She approached my and took her fingernail to my drawing and scratched off half of my work. Then began to rework it. I was devestated and decided that art just wasn't my thing. This moment has been ingrained into my memory. I can still remember exactly what it looked like and how inadequate I felt.
This blank page is to represent the time period after that intro to art class. I stopped creating my artwork and tried to find a different path to follow.
That is untill I met Mrs.Hyatt at Rock Bridge High School in my basic art class.
This is a painting that I created in Mrs.Hyatt's AP art class. I started taking art again in highschool, very hesitantly, with Mrs. Hyatt. I promptly feel back in love with art. Mrs. Hyatt taught me that I could excell and to believe in myself. She has inspired me to pursue art ed so that I might help other students find themselves through art like I did.
This is to show my struggle sophmore year here at MU. I felt like I had to pick between pursuing my own art and art education.
I decided that I could do both.
So here I am!
I am so sad that you had such a negative experience in JHS art at a time when young adolescents are so sensitive and this kind of experience can impact your life choices. I am so glad you found art again. Remind me to talk about this in class. Art Teachers MUST NEVER TOUCH A STUDENT'S WORK! PERIOD!!!! When I look at your pastel piece I see the sun shining on one of the hills and I would have loved that.
ReplyDelete