Monday, October 22, 2012

Assessment



After doing the reading I know that I will know what my students have learned through assessments of their work. There are many types of assessments: portfolios, essays, tests, and projects. Successful learning looks like a student who is willing to work hard and take constructive feedback from group work and one on one discussion of ideas and materials with me. Assessments should address many different types of knowledge. Beattie lists six areas of knowledge that art assessments should address (pg 7):

1. Content

2. Skills and processes

3. Why certain procedures and processes are used

4. Knowledge about your own strengths and weaknesses.

5. Motor skills-manipulating tools

6. attitudes- emotional expression

Through reading about Summative Assessments I learned about creating a test blue print in a matrix format. I know most of you have seen these before and I feel that they are a very important tool in the classroom. Having a matrix grading rubric would enable me to assess all of my students in the same way based on a set system of criteria. The rubric would give me a solid grading rubric that I could go over with my students at the start of a project so that they would know what our goals are and how I will assess them, so that there are no secrets about my grading system.

In my unit plan I will utilize summative assessment so that I can see how effective my teaching was and if changes need to be made. Creating a portfolio would be a good way to assess my students as well. It would enable my students and I to look back on all of their work and the progress that they have made. I also like the idea of writing essays about artists and qualities of their work, to encourage critical thinking and visual literacy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment