Thursday, October 11, 2012
Concept map
For my concept map I wrote about Kiki Smith, Kara Walker, Do Ho Suh, and Trenton Doyle Hancock. All of these artists work with the big idea story, many of them have other big ideas as well. I decided that my take on the big idea of stories was closest to that of Kiki Smith.
In one aspect of the big idea she recreates well know mythical stories or children stories (Little Red Riding Hood) and then portrays that new take in her work.
Kiki Smith also believes that some stories just need to be told. You may not know why you need to create something but if you feel the push than you should let it out. She also likes to leave her work more open ended so that the viewer can relate to it in their own way and imagine their own story. We are similar in these aspects.
I decided to emulate her retelling of well known stories in my big idea book. I created an image of Rapunzel but only showed her hair twisting in the wind, you cannot see her face and the dark colors of my image suggest a dark undercurrent in the story. Not just the happy child story of the princess who finds her prince.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment