In my
classroom on Wednesday there was a boy in the class who had some special
emotional needs. He has trouble
processing emotion and has a language barrier- cannot understand complicated or
long directions. He needs precise and
short answers and directions or he gets very overwhelmed, which often leads to
anger. On this particular day she warned
me that he sometimes had trouble keeping his hands to himself and could have
angry outbursts.
He is
not allowed to use pencil sharpeners in any of the classrooms because he doesn’t
know when to stop. He will stand there
and sharpen a pencil, break of the tip, and sharpen it again for the entire
period. He was warned once by the
teacher and he sat back down. The next
time it was more of a forceful warning and the boy got very angry. Unable to process this he stomped across the
room, yelled, and pounded his chest in frustration. All of the kids got quiet and stared but for
such a short time I know they must be used to his explosions. Mrs. Garcia asked him to take a break in the
hall and called the office. I heard them
talking to the boy and reinforcing his plan of action after class when he was
calmed down. They placed a stress ball
in the desk called the “safe seat” for him to use when he gets overwhelmed and
discussed taking breaks in the hall to get away from the other students.
I
thought it was handled well, but I also don’t have a ton of experience dealing with
this kind of behavior. In the end though
I think he felt taken care of and hopefully in the future he will deal with his
anger better. Mrs. Garcia told me it has
improved since he started seeing a counselor.
I like
the idea of the safe seat and I would definitely utilize it in my own classroom
management. On the first day of class I
would go over all of my expectations and the progression of warnings and
consequences. I would create a poster
and keep it on the wall with it all listed simply and clearly.
I will…..
1.
Raise my hand when I have a question
2.
Speak kind
words
3.
Keep my
body to myself
4.
Help others
5.
Be safe
6.
Not
distract my classmates
Steps:
1st time- warning. A green post-it note will be placed quietly
infront of you. If you do not understand
what you were doing raise your hand and we can talk about it.
2nd time- Move to the
safe seat. You may be asked to fill out
a think sheet. Asking what you did wrong
and how you can fix it next time.
3rd time- Sent to the office.
Note:
The safe
seat is not only a punishment. It is
called the safe seat because you can go there if you are feeling bothered,
distracted, or just need to be alone. Be
responsible and move yourself there if you need too. Warnings are not strictly given out in the
above order. If you are being very
distracting or dangerous to other students I reserve the right to skip a
warning.
I very much like your suggestion of posting the rules on the wall and reinforcing them often. I am very impressed with the post it quiet warning idea. I think this would help students understand that they are moving off course without giving them a lot of attention which may be what they are after in the first place.
ReplyDelete